Sunday, August 29, 2010

Be Stupid. Really?

I’m 27. I have worked in television (both GEC and News), print and internet space. I’m reasonably intelligent. And still have not found my calling in life. Is that what spells a loser?

Everyone around me seems to have stuck onto one job or at least one field. And all I want to do is probably study photography next. It’s unbelievable the amount of things I can set my heart on.

And it’s all good to say it’s a great idea to know a hundred different things…but hey c’mon…we don’t live in an idealistic world. Jumping work fields every year may be exciting and great fun but it does not translate into money… because learning the ropes of every new field implies starting at the bottom. Finally what you get is tons of knowledge…plenty of thrills…and a permanent place at the bottom.

It didn’t matter till a year ago. My parents were working, I was austere…almost abnormally so... and money was the last thing on my mind.

But over the past year, they have retired and something has changed. It may have to do with the people I’m surrounded with, but I’d rather attribute it to the fact that I am now 27. And have finally been granted the perennial, nagging restlessness that tells me I have to earn more.

I don’t know if the want and the restlessness are strong enough to shake me out of my more often than not, satisfied, contented existence… We shall see… This post will be updated by the end of this year. Till then…sail on…

8 Comments:

Blogger Zorba said...

Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your
life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don’t.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ

29 August, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps it has something to do with being 27! cos i have started feeling the same way ....specially since i used to be rather proud of not being tied down to one thing and now i am not

30 August, 2010  
Blogger Marinha said...

I guess I'm not alone after all... Maybe it does have something to do with being 27... Wish there were easy answers!

13 September, 2010  
Blogger Marinha said...

Good to know I am not alone... maybe it does have something to being 27.

13 September, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i still feel this way at 35 ..you write real well maybe u shld....:)

22 September, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

absolutely... maybe u shud consider "writing" as a career.
but than again what do they get paid? in peanuts maybe?
its easier for aamir khan to go around saying do what your heart desires, at the end it does come to how much we earn.
so earn.. earn will u can from a job you hate..but they use the same money to do the little things u do love.. thats what i say..
~Priyanka(/ M's friend )

04 October, 2010  
Blogger another wanderer said...

@zorba: that IS encouraging! :)

@sumanya: ditto!! i'm still proud though...its just that sometimes...money does matter!

@marinha: its all about the choices we make i guess...choices we can't really go back on...and mostly, we don't want to either...

20 March, 2011  
Blogger naveeta said...

babe m 35 n followed my callng. N nw i think time has come 2 do somethng new. its nt imp 2 stick 2 one thing or consider it as our callng. D only calling dts imp is one by ur friends

14 November, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home