Tuesday, June 15, 2010

An Ode to the Bombay Rains

It’s the famous Bombay monsoon… and it has arrived! Like a spoilt brat, perennially demanding attention – be it the long, desperate wait for the first refreshing shower, the excited murmurs of ‘I think its gonna rain’, the worrying once it does rain, the frantic phone calls from one end of the city to the other checking for the extent of its fury, plans cancelled in its wake… phew… The Monsoon is probably the most momentous event in this city. No wonder I love it so much…

The monsoon has always been a harbinger of change. And if you need proof… you don’t need to look beyond me! Looking back, the most pivotal decisions of my life have been made while it poured. Walking out of jobs, waltzing into new ones… Breaking old bonds, forging new ones…my entire system seems to wake up and welcome the rains…

Rains are when I feel most alive. It’s almost as though I drift aimlessly through the other seasons and reserve my intensity only for this glorious season. Feeling more and with far greater intensity in these three months than the rest of the year put together. No wonder then that it is the rains that have witnessed my most passionate liaisons

Rains are when I want to buy myself deep red roses. Rains are when I want to walk the grey Bombay streets, dressed in pastels, carrying deep red roses. Ok I’ll admit it…Rains are when I wouldn’t mind acting in a Yash Chopra movie.

My current office is the only one I’ve worked in which does not afford me the view of the rains…which is just plain cruel… To know that it’s raining but not be able to hear or see it… what kind of sadistic pleasure do these designers get!


My favorite Rain Memories:


Zooming past Worli seaface with my favorite biker, dodging the sea spray as it leaps onto the street

Walking alone on Aksa beach, drenched to my very soul, soaking in the fury of the sea

Waiting for the bus at my bus stop which faces the Versova beach, tree branches collapsing all around you… terrifying yet fascinating!

Swimming at Andheri Sports Complex with the raindrops falling on me…

Walking, through the mist (always seeming like your next step will be into thin air) at hundreds of monsoon treks

So mannnyyyy more!!!

Ok I am a rain child.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about an update?

09 August, 2010  
Blogger another wanderer said...

Have updated the blog...hope you still read it :)

22 March, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home