Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Prashant and the Lovebirds

One fine day in office. I heard Prashant's cell phone ring. Prashant was nowhere in sight so we ignored it. Prashant had weird ringtones. Horses neighing. Pigs grunting. Cats mewing. This time around it was birds chirping.

A few minutes later, Prashant entered the room. It was a small room which housed 5 reporters - Prashant, Sayli, Smita, Swatee and me. It was the room where great stories and articles would be written and subsequently thrashed. Anyways, I'm digressing. So Prashant entered the room.

Me: Prash, your phone was ringing
Prashant: my phone is with me
Me: arrey something was ringing on your desk. It was making some birdy sounds.
Prash: ohhh.. my darlings... my darlings...

So saying he leaped towards a brown paper packet. And sure enough the chirps seemed to emerge from that packet.

Me: What the hell is that??
Prash: (dangling the packet for everyone to see) LOVEBIRDS!!

A crowd of 3 had gathered around him now. The birds are chirping away to glory. The packet has small holes in it ideal for cross ventilation.

I propose the idea that the birds may be getting suffocated and are hence calling out for help. Prashant gasps. Immediately an empty dustbin materializes. The packet is opened and the birds are emptied into it. The dustbin is covered with my duppatta. But before we can finish patting ourselves on our backs for a job well done, we realise the magnitude of the problem has multiplied. The racket emanating from the dustbin was enough to rouse Raj Kamal Jha from the IE headquarters.

The rest of the day was spent in keeping the bosses away from our room. Evertime Raman would try entering our room, one of us would go : "Raman! I want to discuss my story with you.. Can we sit in YOUR cabin please." or something to that effect. Never before or after would Raman have seen a more dedicated bunch of reporters wanting to discuss their stories in such detail.

2 Comments:

Blogger words are lost on me said...

Shit, yes. Recall how I cooked up a con crime story just so that he would leave the room and he said "great story great stor, I will sell it to delhi". And when he ran out I told prashant, you ass, I wanted him to run away from the birds and now he is running with a concocted story:)

29 July, 2008  
Blogger another wanderer said...

@words are lost on me: hahaha...the things that boy has made us do!

22 March, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home