Saturday, June 07, 2008

The Mahajan Saga

I had already submitted my resignation at The Indian Express when Pramod Mahajan was shot at by his brother, Pravin.

Since I was still serving my notice period I was again sent, this time to stand outside Hinduja Hospital (Damn! No sprawling lawns!). By the time I reached, a barricade had already been constructed for journalists. I walked up to it. Strangely I did not recognize anybody there. Later I realized that all newspapers and news channels had sent their political reporters to cover it. Express was the only one who had sent its health reporter. Everyone there seemed senior to me. I spotted 3 of my journalism college professors so you can imagine what i mean by 'senior'.

In any case, since I had already resigned, and was in the process of scripting for the short film I was going to make, I would sit inside the barricade premises and script. Others wondered what notes I was taking down so diligently and whether I had more information than them.

Day after day we sat there, hoping for something to happen. The usual stories were done - other patients suffering because of all the attention going to Mahajan etc. A news channel guy went and interviewed two people. It goes like:
Anchor: Aap yaha kyun aaye hai?
1: umm... hamare rishtedaar admit hai
Anchor: Toh aap ko bahut takleef hui hogi
2: ab kya bataye... (goes on with an entire sob saga)

At the end of the interview when the anchor thanks them, feeling happy he has something atleast for his channel, they tell him that they are both actually reporters from Mid-day come to report on the Mahajan story. Hehehe... yeh Mid-day wale bhi!

RED BULL

After a few days of standing like that, reporters and photographers actually started hoping Mahajan would die fast so they could resume their normal lives. We would all take our positions around 10am and stay there, sit, stand, walk around, pretend to talk to small time politicians hanging out there, sneak into the hospital. Around 6pm the newspaper reporters would walk to the nearest cyber cafe and file whatever they could. Then back to the barricade.

One such day, around 8pm, we were still sitting there, looking like if Mahajan did not die, we would, when 3 sexy chicks decided to descend on us. They were in red mini skirts and white t shirts. They were selling Red Bull. The cameramen almost fell over each other trying to make conversation with the girls. Some even bought Red Bull while the girls sashayed and giggled in style. Poor Mahajan fighting for his life inside while girls sold Red Bull outside! What is this world coming to I tell you :P

LUNCHTIME

Finally one morning, sources said that Mahajan had passed away. Now the wait began for the hospital authorities to make a formal announcement.

As morning turned to afternoon, our tummies started rumbling. But no one - not one reporter or camera person budged an inch in the fear of losing out on the sacred quote.

Finally at around 4pm the Hinduja hospital spokesperson ascended with a piece of paper and read out from it. As soon as he was done with announcing Mahajan's death, all the reporters and cameramen just filed out in one straight line to the nearest hotel to EAT!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home