Monday, July 02, 2007

AND THIS IS HOW WE MADE OUR FILM

2005
24x7 Making Movies, Dev Benegal’s filmmaking program announces ‘Water’ as its theme for the year 2005. Rao and me, having participated in the program last year (Topic: Nature and Violence) get to work. After crappy ideas like kitchen politics with water acting as a symbolic element (yikes!!) I have a very unlike me idea – a relationship that builds between two people over a glass of water. Unlike me coz, upto that point in life, I have always had bad ideas. Anyways, moving on… Thus begins Anaam. Of course, at that time it is called A Glass of Water or only Water. I write the synopsis and then Rao and me meet for the scripting.

We have to send Dev’s company the synopsis first. But before anything of the sort can happen, they change the theme. Thoroughly disappointed, we work on the script in any case, hoping to make the film one day.

Over time, we get busy with our work schedules and Water gets lost somewhere.

2006
July 2006 – I quit Express. Rao and I decide to revive Water. This time we have a group – Rao, me, Sameer and Nalini. Script sessions resume. But then Sameer and Rao get busy with their work once more and finally Nalini and I start working on the script in 2007.

2007

I involve Krish and Sai. Their inputs.

May 2007
Script ready. We start looking for actors. We need 15 – 20 year olds. Problem? Big Problem.
Solution: Put it up on Orkut.

Next day:
Get 21 mails. Wow. All of them get rejected. Some even have ids like johnabraham28 or some such.

Few days and many mails later:
These 18 year olds are driving me mad.

I mean this kid...who is in his FYBCom carries the latest mobile phone, the most expensive ipod and says things like I only like Hrithik Roshan movies. Errr...ok.

Days fly.

Today. Another 18 year old. Oh he has manicured nails.
He also looks like the perfect model for Fair and Handsome cream.
I seriously don't hve anythin to talk to him about. I wrap it up in 10 mins...even that seems to go on forever...

Some more days later
Two actors who we had kind of finalised back off....coz their parents don't want them to act! 18 year old, and they still need their parents permission. One wants his son to concentrate on his studies, the other on his cricket. Cricket!!! Of all the things cricket!! Freak!

Another 17 year old I call says the same thing - "I'l speak to my dad and let you know". Sheesh...and they say today's generation is more confident.. yea rite!!!

Another day:
“I have braces…how will I act?”

Huh??? Silly me didn’t know thr was a connection between acting and braces…! So much to learn frm kids I tell ya…

Friends are such help!
Conv with anand (who is nearing 30):

me: dude..pls help
Anand: what happened?
me: searching for actors
Anand: arre wah..... u want a hero for the movie?
yea... a 15 year old
Anand: i do look like a 15-year-old when i m clean shaven
me: NO
Anand: yes, i do
me: no u dont
Anand: 'cos u have'nt seen me that way
me: hheeheh
Anand: people still ask me which class i m studying?
me: heheheehhe...of course

OTHER EXCERPTS:

ME: so are u interested in acting
A: yea...but as long as I dont have to do embarrasing scenes
ME: and what are embarrasing scenes? give me an example..
A: like...i hope i dont have to act gay or something..
ME: no, you don't have to act gay. Anything else?
A: and i hope thrs no scene where people will be laughing at me
ME: Errr... (ok next)


ME: so are u interested in acting
B: yesss... il do anything for you
ME: ummm...

Finally finally finally.


Bandra Barista. We meet nayantara. She looks the part… And omigosh!!! She isnt even super dumb!!! Shez in. Tasneem.

The same day, we meet Mani. Another shocker….hez not silly either… wow! Looks like our lucky day. Sam.

Fun Republic CCD. Anahita and Khairunnisa finalised.

Now Abhi.

This guy called Ali something writes in to say hez interested. We decide to meet in Dadar CCD.

We meet. He doesn’t fit the role (ouch!). What’s more? He makes the mistake of bringing his friends along, one of whom is perfect for the role of Abhi. Shit (s)!!

After they leave, Nalini and I look at each other and know exactly what the other is thinking. Anyways, we call Husain (Ali’s friend) whose number we have very cleverly taken. He says yes. I mail Ali to break the bad news. As expected I get the newest swear words as a reply.

Early June:

Our first rehearsal. Husain and Mani hit it off. Nalini and I are already a little in love with Husain. Err… not just a little. …ok…hez just 17… I should stop writing nonsense

Wow! My lead pair can’t stand each other. Now what to do??

June 6th:
Shoot begins finally.
Kondivita shoot

June 7th:

Kondivita plus Mazgaon shoot.
Lesson learnt: Flirting is good for health.

June 8th:
Hsc results, so no shoot
Plus gal playing Anahita backs off.


TO BE CONTINUED

1 Comments:

Blogger longblackveil said...

Haaaaaaaahaaaa, hilarious. Hope your film got made.
Found my way here through your Orkut post. I'll go back now. :)

08 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home