Saturday, July 01, 2006

philosophy

A poem that I found in an old Philosophy book :

The following pages
may cause you to wonder.
That's what philosophy is..
Wondering.

To philosophize
is to wonder about life -
about right and wrong,
love and loneliness,
war and death,
about freedom, truth, beauty, time,
and a thousand other things..

To philosophize
is to explore life.

It means breaking free,
to ask questions.

It means resisting easy answers

To philosophize is to seek in oneself
the courage to ask
painful questions.

But if,
by chance,
you have already asked
all your questions
and found all the answers -
if you are sure you know
right from wrong,
and whether God exists,
and what justice means,
and why men fear and hate and pray -
if indeed you have done your wondering
about freedom and love and loneliness and those thousand other things
then the following pages will waste your time.

Philosophy is for those
who are willing to be disturbed with a creative disturbance.

Philosophy is for those who still have the capacity for wonder..

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder why I wonder why. I wonder why I wonder. I wonder why I wonder why I wonder why I wonder! --Richard Feynman

01 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home